Varies / Existing Workers
22 Jan 2018
Varies / Non-Existing Workers
This qualification is available nationally to applicants currently working in a CSD (i.e. industry-based) and to those who are not working in industry (i.e. non-industry based). There are no formal entry criteria however, TAFE Queensland has the following selection criteria for this qualification;
- Applicants must have completed Year 10 or equivalent with a Sound Achievement in English; and,
- Applicants from non-English speaking backgrounds must be able to demonstrate proficiency in reading, writing and have comprehension skills that would be required to fulfil a job role; and,
- Applicants will require a standard of basic computer literacy skills and must have access to a computer and the Internet as learning resources, assessments and exams will be issued and conducted online through our Learning Management System; and,
- Industry-based applicants must be able to nominate a workplace supervisor to observe and record competencies within the workplace. As a minimum, the workplace supervisor must have a Certificate III in Sterilisation Services or higher relevant qualifications in Sterilisation; and,
- Interstate and non-industry applicants will be accepted providing you can supply the contact name and details of a hospital who is prepared to host you for your 120-hour vocational placement and have a workplace supervisor with a Certificate III in Sterilisation Services or higher relevant qualifications in Sterilisation; and,
- Non-industry applicants must be prepared to undergo a series of vaccinations to prepare you for placement; and
- Non-industry applicants must be able to prove (via an immunisation statement or letter from your GP) that you have had at least the first two (2) of three, Hepatitis B vaccinations prior to applying for this program; and,
- Non-industry applicants must be prepared to apply for a Working with Children, Blue Card (this is free for students and will be organised after enrolment); and,
- Depending on the placement hospital, non-industry applicants may be required to undergo a Criminal History Check prior to vocational placement.
If you’re under 17 years of age, special enrolment conditions may apply.
No specific resources are required to successfully complete this course.
It is recommended that students have access to a reliable internet connection to access TAFE Queensland's online learning system Connect, and a computer with up-to-date software, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Reader and Adobe Flash Player. This equipment and software is available for students to use at all TAFE Queensland locations.
Complete this course online and be supported online every step of the way with our Connect Learning Management System. With a range of exciting features and functions including your account information and enrolment pack, online materials, discussions boards, and places to upload your assignment. Connect now and get a head start with your exciting career!
Applicants who are not currently employed in a sterilising department (hospital or office-based) are required to complete a 120 hour (3 consecutive weeks) vocational placement in a hospital sterilisation facility. Vocational placement is conducted Monday to Friday between 6:00 and 23:00 hours. The hospital will give you a shift roster at the time of placement. Vocational placement occurs around month 7 or 8 depending on your progress.
TAFE Queensland will negotiate with hospitals in your local area (where possible) to find a placement position for you. Please note, due to the high number of students completing placements, you are required to be flexible and may have to travel outside your immediate area to attend placement. It is also understood that students may have preferences for specific hospitals and/or periods of times, however there is no guarantee this is possible and is determined by industry availability.
Non-industry applicants are required to meet the following specific vaccination criteria prior to being accepted for placement.
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR): Two doses
- Hepatitis B: Minimum two doses. Note: a full course (i.e. 3 doses) of Hepatitis B vaccinations takes approximately 9 months
- Varicella (Chickenpox): Two doses
- Pertussis (Whooping cough): One dose
Tuberculosis: The Mantoux Test is required by some hospitals if you have lived anywhere other than Australia for more than 3 months. You will be advised if this is required prior to the commencement of your placement.
Note: some hospitals also request immunisation for the annual influenza vaccine.
Prior to the commencement of vocational placement, applicants will need to provide evidence of immunity to the above vaccine-preventable diseases by producing results of a blood test.
Applicants who have been previously immunised will need to provide evidence of having sero-converted by producing results of a blood test. This is a high risk industry; those who are unable to sero-convert for Hepatitis B should seek advice from a medical practitioner prior to enrolling. Cover for HepatitisB is mandatory for all Queensland Health staff and students.
Applicants are encouraged to complete at least the first two (2) HepatitisB vaccinations prior to enrolling in this program.
Students are responsible for any costs associated with meeting these entry requirements.