Varies / Existing Workers
10 Jul 2017
Varies / Non-Existing Workers
This qualification has no formal entry criteria however TAFE Queensland Brisbane has the following selection criteria for this qualification;
- Applicants must have completed Year 10 or equivalent with a Sound Achievement in English; and,
- Applicants must nominate a Workplace Supervisor to observe and record competencies within the workplace. The Workplace Supervisor must have a Certificate III in Sterilisation Services or higher relevant qualification; and,
- Applicants from non-English speaking backgrounds should be able to demonstrate proficiency in reading, writing and comprehension skills that would be required to fulfil a job role; and,
- Applicants will require a standard of basic computer literacy skills and must have access to a computer and the internet as learning resources, assessments and exams will be issued and conducted online through our Learning Management System.
If you’re under 17 years of age, special enrolment conditions may apply.
From 1st July 2016, a change to Queensland Health policy will now require students placed in Clinical areas of all Facilities to provide evidence they have been vaccinated for the vaccine preventable diseases of measles, mumps, rubella, varicella and pertussis. This is in addition to the evidence provided for vaccinations against Hepatitis B and Tuberculosis.
Students will not be able to commence their Vocational Placement unless they have provided the required evidence as specified below:
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR): Minimum one dose
- Hepatitis B: Minimum two doses
- Varicella (Chicken Pox): Minimum one dose
- Pertussis: One dose
- Tuberculosis: Mantoux Test
Students will be responsible for any costs associated with meeting these entry requirements.
More information to be discussed at Orientation.
No specific resources are required to successfully complete this course.
It is recommended that students have access to a reliable internet connection to access TAFE Queensland's online learning system Connect, and a computer with up-to-date software, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Reader and Adobe Flash Player. This equipment and software is available for students to use at all TAFE Queensland locations.
Complete this course online and be supported online every step of the way with our Connect Learning Management System. With a range of exciting features and functions including your account information and enrolment pack, online materials, discussions boards, and places to upload your assignment. Connect now and get a head start with your exciting career!
Applicants who are not currently employed in a sterilising department (hospital or office-based) are required to complete a 120 hour vocational placement in a sterilisation facility. To undertake this program, applicants will be required to have access to such a facility and can be assessed as part of their normal working hours. TAFE Queensland Brisbane is able to provide participants with a list of vocational placement hosts. Please note due to the high number of students completing placements, students are required to be flexible. It is also understood students may have preferences for specific hospitals and/or periods of times however there is no guarantee this is possible due to industry availabilities.
Applicants who are not currently working in the sterilising industry are required to provide evidence of having received at least 2 of 3 Hepatitis B vaccinations prior to the commencement of vocational placement. Applicants who have been previously immunised will need to provide evidence of having sero-converted; either by a letter from their GP or a pathology report. Those who are unable to sero-convert should seek advice from a medical practitioner prior to enrolling.